“Spring Forward” Tonight!
Why do we need spring forward tonight? Daylight saving time will begin at 2 a.m. Sunday, March 11, so remember to set clocks an hour ahead. The time will remain an hour ahead until it “falls back” to standard time in November.
Daylight saving is a means of getting more light out of the day by advancing clocks by one hour during the summer. This way, sunrise is one hour later in the morning, when most people are usually asleep anyway, and sunset is one hour later in the evening.
Some other things you can do when you reset your clocks
When you reset clocks in the spring and fall, at the same time you can:
- Check smoke alarm batteries
- Check the back-up batteries in other safety systems like carbon-monoxide detectors and burglar-alarm control panels
- Electronic products back-up batteries that save stored information or keep them operating in a power failure
- Replace filters in air conditioners and furnaces
- Change the direction of ceiling fans (forward in summer, reverse in winter)
- Reset programmable thermostats