Today is April 22, 2014. It’s also Earth Day!
By definition, Earth Day is an annual event, celebrated on April 22, on which events are held worldwide to demonstrate support for environmental protection. It was first celebrated in 1970, and is now coordinated globally by the Earth Day Network, and celebrated in more than 192 countries each year.
There are a number of freebies and deals in honor of Earth Day this year. Following are some that we have found:
Earth Day for Kids
Head on over to iTunes to download The Four Seasons – an Interactive Children’s storybook completely FREE! Plus, here are 2 more great Earth Day apps for the kiddos…
Scholastic: Free Celebrate Earth Day educational information sheet for Grades 3 – 4 on their website.
Coloring pages: Print out some free Earth day coloring pages from www.dltk-kids.com/
*FREE Adult Earth Day App*
Verde helps you find the best things in your home to update and become more energy efficient. Find out exactly how much money and environmental impact that you can save by upgrading to a new television, refrigerator, air conditioner or lighting.
Following are several retail Earth Day offerings:
Unfortunately, many are located out of town; but we wanted to mention them in case you plan to travel out of town this week:
Disney Store: Receive a FREE Disneynature Bears reusable tote bag when you bring in 5 plasic bags on April 22, 2014. Limit 1 tote bag per guest while supplies last at participating locations. See their website for more information.
Pottery Barn: Receive a FREE plantable bookmark from Pottery Barn when you go on a Treasure Hunt that is eco-inspired at participating Pottery Barn stores during the week of April 21. See their website for more information.
Whole Foods Markets: Save 50% on greener cleaners from April 19 – April 22. There are more than 130 cleaners included in this promo from multiple brands. See more information on their website.
The Body Shop – Free Earth Lovers Shower Gel Coupon
Free Glass Straw Giveaway – Sip on those free beverages with a beautiful glass straw from the fine folks at Glass Dharma. If you pass the eco-informative quiz on their website – you’ll get a coupon code via email for the free straw. One straw per person and free shipping is not included.
We also encourage you to do something for our Earth!
- Ride your bike
- Skip a bath – A 10 minute shower consumes 50 gallons of water. A bath can use 70 gallons of water!
- Save a tree – Sign up to receive your statements online.
- Make your world a little greener – Plant something! Anything green will help clean the air while celebrating and beautifying the environment.
- Switch out the light bulbs – Replacing all the incandescent bulbs in your house won’t take long, and it’ll save you money on your energy bill since fluorescents are a lot more efficient than standard lightbulbs (go to Easy Web Calculators to figure out how much).
- Turn off your lights/water – When you leave a room, turn the light off. When you’re brushing your teeth or shaving, don’t leave the water on.